Ah, summer! The season of fun in the sun, ice-cold drinks, and enjoying the great outdoors. But as the temperatures rise, there’s one thing you need to make sure is in tip-top shape — your air conditioner. Here are 7 tips to keep your home cool and comfortable this summer.
How can you keep your AC in tip-top shape?
- Clean or replace your air filter: Your air filter plays a crucial role in maintaining indoor air quality and keeping your AC running efficiently. A dirty air filter can obstruct airflow and put a strain on your AC, resulting in higher energy bills and a shorter lifespan for your unit. So, make sure to clean or replace your air filter at least once a month during the summer months.
- Clear the area around your outdoor unit: Your outdoor AC unit needs plenty of space to breathe. Make sure there are at least two feet of clear space around your unit to allow for proper airflow. Remove any debris, leaves, or branches that may have accumulated around your unit over the winter months.
- Check your thermostat: Make sure your thermostat is set to the correct temperature for the season. In the summer, aim for a temperature between 72 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal comfort and energy savings.
- Inspect your ductwork: Check for any leaks or damage in your ductwork. Leaky ducts can cause air loss, reducing your AC’s efficiency and increasing your energy bills. If you find any leaks, seal them with duct tape or call in a professional for assistance.
- Schedule a tune-up: Just like your car, your AC needs regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly. Call in the experts at Rescue Your Air and Drain to schedule a tune-up for your AC. A technician can inspect and clean your AC unit, check for any potential issues, and make any necessary repairs to ensure your system is working at peak efficiency.
- Upgrade your thermostat: Consider upgrading to a programmable or smart thermostat. A programmable thermostat allows you to set different temperatures for different times of the day, which can help you save money on energy bills. You can set your thermostat to a higher temperature when you’re away from home or asleep, and have it automatically cool down before you return or wake up.
- Replace your old unit: If your AC is over 12 years old, it may be time for a replacement. Statistics show that replacing an old AC unit with a new one can save up to 35% on utility bills in the Memphis area. Not to mention, a new unit will provide better comfort and reliability, and may even increase the value of your home.
Once it’s prepped for summer, you can provide additional support to your AC to make sure your home stays cool and comfortable during the hot summer months. Here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Install ceiling fans: Ceiling fans are a great way to circulate air throughout your home, reducing reliance on your AC and helping you save money on energy bills.
- Use shades and curtains: Using shades or curtains to block out sunlight during the hottest parts of the day can help keep your home cooler and reduce your AC usage.
- Seal your windows and doors: Air leaks can let hot air in and cool air out, making your AC work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. Make sure to seal any leaks with weatherstripping or caulk.
Preparing your air conditioner for summer doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With a little bit of DIY maintenance and help from Rescue Your Air and Drain, you can keep your AC running smoothly all summer long. If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to call the experts at Rescue Your Air and Drain so you can enjoy the summer season without worrying about your air conditioner.